Thursday, April 1, 2010

29 Wks, 1 Day: Back to the Doctor

Today I had my 29-week checkup. I saw the doctor who sent me to the dreaded OB Mecca last time. He is the same one I saw exclusively in the beginning of the pregnancy, and the same one scheduled for my "official" c-section. I love the man. As a matter of fact, the nurse who scheduled me with him is a genius! I had told her of my obstetrical history and told her I could eventually become a problem patient, and to assign me to one of the doctors who is patient. Of course, that was back when I had a choice in the matter as a repeat c-section patient. Before I became high-risk again and had to start seeing all of them.

He took the time to address all of my concerns. I asked about the polyhydramnios, and he said at my level of 23, he wouldn't worry too much. He doesn't get worried until 25 or so, and that it goes along with having a big baby in there. That they would look for gestational diabetes, but one of his partners already had me complete the 3-hour glucose tolerance test, even though my 1-hour was normal. He told me this is probably the source of a great deal of these contractions: me and my larger-then-normal uterus.

Then he measured me. As expected, I am meauring at about the 34-week mark at 29 weeks because of Gargantuan Baby with his excess fluid, no doubt.

Then we got down to the nitty gritty. As in "what is the plan, man?!" Hmmmm.
I told him that we had a date scheduled for June 3,417 days before my EDD. My exact words? "That's not going to happen, is it? Please tell me that isn't going to happen!" His response was that he wants to get me to 37 weeks.

Ummmm. What? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I understand the concept. But really? I know that he cannot officially plan anything earlier than that. But. Dang! He also told me that if it looks like I am not going to make it, they will do my amniocentesis to check lung maturity and let me have him. I was comforted by this. Because I know I am not going to make it. And I know that they are going to check Zachary out very thoroughly before they make their move.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers