Saturday, March 20, 2010

27 wks, 5 Days: The Catch-22

I found some disturbing info out yesterday: I only have 4.8 weeks of FMLA job protection left. Does this mean I am fired at that point? Not necessarily. It is then at the discretion of my supervisors to either hold my job or post it as available. The good news is that by then, I will be beyond 30 weeks along, and will probably deliver soon thereafter. Unless they find another RT who wants my job from within the hospital, they will have to interview, hire, and orient someone new. For a new hire, that is about an 8-week process at best. By that point, I will be recovering from delivery and would be back sooner than they could do that. But that is only if there isn't a cowoker who wants to snag my position...

My big worry is my health coverage. After 4.8 weeks, my short-term disability pay ends. If my job is no longer, so is my health coverage. Which means that I will have to pay for a c-section without the benefit of health coverage. My only hope is that our premiums are paid a month in advance an I will have about 4 weeks or so left of coverage after the last premium is paid. If that is the case, my delivery will be covered.

So now I feel like I am in a bind: do I demand that the doctor deliver this baby early so I know it is paid and I can get back to work sooner to preserve my job? Do I just let it ride and hope it all works out for the best? Or do I go into the office on Monday with guns blazin' and demand that I be allowed to return to work? My boss did agree to accomodate a reduced work schedule. I can get a scooter from work to eliminate the running all over the hospital. That is a big deal right there. As it is right now, I am allowd to get up and cook for myself, shower, go to the bathroom. I see no difference betwen that and riding to a patient's room and giving them a treatment. Except for the whole job-preservation thing. And the whole paycheck and insurance thing. And if I make it even easier by only working 8-hr. nights? The 8 hours in the middle of the night are the slowest. It can get busy, but it is less likely. Taking the 4 hours off the top of my shift is taking the busiest part away, and while it wouldn't seem so to someone who has never worked in healthcare, shortening from a 12-hour shift to an 8-hour shift is a big difference.

This seems like the most favorable option. It will help with our finances right now. It will preserve my health coverage, and buy some more time so I can use the remainder of my leave for after the baby comes, when I am recovering from a c-section.

But will my doctors go for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers